Saturday, May 8, 2010

7 Days and Counting


Well, here we go with the first post. Countdown is 7 days to launch (May 15). Spoke to Jay yesterday and he says he is on schedule to leave Arcata and head over to my place in Oroville on Friday the 14th. I have completed all the maintenance on both the Goldwing and the Kwik-Kamp that I felt was necessary prior to the trip.

Several people have asked about our intended route and itinerary. We don't have one. Really. There is a mid-trip destination in North Kingstown RI, where my brother Jerry lives. I plan to spend a week or so visiting Jerry while Jay motors around New England on his own. Then we will regroup for the trip back to California.

We will initially point the Wings towards southern California and stop in Palm Desert to visit Jay's uncle, then head east taking the most southern roads the Garmin can find. I hate interstates. Big Bend National Park is a goal, since jay is an avid birder and the park is noted for its avian diversity. Neither of us have ever traveled the deep south, so we will probably traverse the gulf states into Florida. We have every intention of cruising all the scenic byways we can find along the way, and plan to camp whenever possible throughout the trip.

From Florida we will wander north possibly via the Blue Ridge Parkway or other secondary roads to Lynchburg VA where we will visit my old friend Bob May (aka "Bad Bob") for a day or so. He lives near the D-Day Memorial which Jay has not seen so I am sure we will take that in while there. Washington DC..? Possibly. If we can find a secure RV park in Manassas or thereabouts, we may take the Metro into the City and take in a museum or two.

I will be updating this blog and posting photos as often as possible to journalize what I expect to be the ride of my life. Check in periodically if you are so inclined, or use the "follow" widget on the left if you want to get notified via email of new posts and updates.

So you get the idea, no schedule, no route map. Ahhh its great to be retired!

(I will restart this when we head out. Right now it shows my last trip)


No comments: